Friday, August 04, 2006

Name dropping

The young make me feel quite old......................

My 17-year-old son (who is 18 tomorrow) has just gone off to Merry Hill with his mates armed with some advance 'birthday money' to treat himself. A few CD's are on the agenda.

The old fogey that is writing this blog has been told that the 'Kaiser Chiefs' are a good band. Some of the others I have been informed about are either unpronounceable or I have simply forgotten them. To be fair, I can claim to know a little about modern music. I like listening to Keane, James Blunt, Craig David, Texas, Katie Melua, The Stereophonics, Travis, REM, Scissor Sisters (doesn't the lead singer sound like Elton John?), David Gray and Daniel Powter.

Some of the performers I have enjoyed over the years (kids under 20 may not have heard of some of them):
Queen, Elton John, David Bowie, Def Leppard, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynrd, Oasis, Alison Moyet, Tina Turner, Joe Cocker, Annie Lennox, Pink Floyd, T.Rex, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Thin Lizzy, The Who, Dire Straits, Mott The Hoople, Rod Steward, and if I think of any others I may add them to future blogs.

As I grew up in the seventies, when young people I work with ask about my musical tastes, they seem to assume the list includes the Bay City Rollers, Sweet, Mud, and stuff like that. Sorry to disappoint you.

My wife and I (sounds like another wedding speech - oh, leave that for another day, please) have recently 'discovered' a brilliant young artist, actually discovered by none other than Keifer Sutherland, star of 24. The singer / songwriter / guitarist, Rocco Deluca is absolutely superb. His voice reminds us both of Robert Plant (Wolves supporter, and lead singer of Led Zepplin in the seventies ... think he's still a Wolves supporter) and he is a brilliant guitarist (Deluca, not Plant). His group is called 'The Burden'. They have a very unusual sound, and for a short while Keifer Sutherland was the group's manager. A film was made of their first tour (around Europe), called 'I Trust You To Kill Me', also the title of one of Rocco's first songs.

If you get chance, watch the film and have a listen to Rocco's voice. Keifer actually got the boot at the end of the tour. His organisational abilities leave a lot to be desired and there is one scene where he throws himself at a Christmas tree in a German hotel (honestly) due to much German alcohol being consumed. Very un-Jack Bauer-like.

This has been quite a long 'thought for the day'.
As I said, the young make me feel quite old. Maybe I am.

My son's just back from Virgin Megastore.
See what you make of his selection:
Razorlight, Orson ("Bright Idea") and Killers ("Hot Fuss").
I haven't even heard of the last two, but I will give them a go. Might even enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home