Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ramblings about cricket

A crucial day if you like cricket (just Tuesday if you don't).........

As we speak, Pakistan are 12 for no wicket (after 6 overs),chasing a target of 323 to win the 3rd test and level the series with one match to go.

I think the star man for England will be Monty Panesar, a great character and potentially a great spin bowler. If he can get himself on the roll of honour (the notice board at Headingly), taking 5 wickets in the innings, he will be well on the way to securing a place in the Ashes side for November. Let's hope he does achieve it.

I'll take a chance and give you a forecast. Early this morning I had a feeling that Pakistan would get the 323 runs by 5.00 p.m. today, but I think a bit of cloud cover by the end of the day will help England, and I think our lads will get the 10 wickets after a mid-day struggle, during which Pakistan will be knocking the ball all over the pitch.

You know England, they never make it easy for the fans.

6 hours later .........

Y'know, I wasn't far off the mark. England did win, but Pakistan never really troubled us. It was all over by 3.00 p.m. Mind you, Monty was a star, taking 3 wickets, so I got something right.

Additional thought: will Freddie Flintoff be ready for the Ashes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home