Thursday, September 07, 2006

Great Black Country Folk

As a youngster I heard many conversations involving some lovely Black Country people.
Kevin Peterson, the so-called English batsman (isn't he South African) may not like the Black Country accent and dialect. I love it. Also, because I am Black Country (and proud of it) I feel entitled to poke fun (affectionately) at this rich and ancient sub-set of English.

I can recall standing with my grandfather in the early sixties somewhere in Kates Hill watching a new housing estate being developed. A friend of his was chatting to him about the building methods (my grandfather was a self-employed carpenter). Grandad pointed out the new style of windows the builders were using on the houses. It went something like this.

Grandad: "See them windas? Tham bays, bin um"

Friend: "Arr"

Grandad: "If yo say they bay bays, I say they bin bays. When they ay bays, wot bin um?"

Friend: "Dow know"

He then pointed to a previous development, which had used a different style of window.

Grandad: "Thaim windas, bin um, but not bays. The bays that ay bays am windas. The bays that'am bays am bay windas"

Friend: "Arr"


Lovely.

P.S. I make no apology for spelling Kevin the batman's name incorrectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home